Spicy Southern Gumbo
A New Orleans specialty, this thick Creole stew typically includes okra, tomatoes, meats and seafood.
- 1 pound (450 g) boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1 teaspoon (5 mL) vegetable oil
- 2 cans (14-14 1/2 ounces/125 g each) chicken broth
- 1 can (28 ounces/750 g) stewed tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup (250 mL) water
- 2 garlic cloves, pressed
- 1 teaspoon (5 mL) Louisiana hot sauce
- 1 teaspoon (5 mL) each dried oregano and thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 package (16 ounces/450 g) frozen gumbo vegetable mixture
- 1 package (13 ounces/390 g) cooked andouille sausage links
- 1 cup (250 mL) uncooked instant brown or white rice
Using Chef's Knife, trim chicken and cut into 1-inch (2.5 cm) pieces. Heat oil in All-Purpose Pot over medium-high heat 1-3 minutes or until shimmering. Brown chicken in two batches, 2-3 minutes each or until outside surfaces are no longer pink.
Return chicken to pan. Add broth, tomatoes, water, garlic pressed with Garlic Press, hot sauce, oregano, thyme and bay leaf. Bring to a boil. Add vegetable mixture; return to a boil. Cover; reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes.
Meanwhile, cut sausage links into 1/2-inch (10 mm/1 cm) slices; cut slices in half. Add sausage and rice to gumbo. Cover; simmer 10 minutes. Remove from heat; remove and discard bay leaf before serving. Serve with Mini Corn Muffins, if desired.
- 12 cups
8 servings of 1 1/2 cups
Nutrients per serving:
Calories 290, Total Fat 12 g, Saturated Fat 4 g, Cholesterol 75 mg, Carbohydrate 24 g, Protein 21 g, Sodium 1000 mg, Fiber 3 g
U.S. Diabetic exchanges per serving:
1 1/2 starch, 2 medium-fat meat (1 1/2 carb)
Frozen gumbo vegetable mixture is a combination of okra and celery slices, chopped onion, red bell pepper and corn.
For a milder version of this spicy stew, substitute smoked sausage for the andouille sausage and reduce the hot sauce to 1/2 teaspoon.