Tuna Cannelloni with Tomato-Caper Relish
Tuna salad is dressed up with capers, lemon zest and fresh parsley and served in cool cannelloni shells. The result is a classic Spanish tapas dish.
- 6 uncooked manicotti pasta shells
- 1 lemon, divided
- 2 cans (5 oz or 170 g each) very low-sodium solid white albacore tuna in water, drained
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) light mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) chopped fresh parsley, divided
- 1/4 small red onion, finely chopped
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) capers, drained, divided
- 1 tsp (5 mL) coarsely ground black pepper, divided
- 3 medium vine-ripened tomatoes
Cook pasta shells according to package directions, omitting salt and oil and cooking an additional 1-2 minutes or until pasta is completely tender. Using Chef's Tongs, carefully transfer pasta to large Stainless Mesh Colander and gently rinse under cold water. Set aside
Meanwhile, for filling, zest lemon using Microplane® Zester to measure 1 tsp (5 mL). Juice lemon using Juicer to measure 1 tbsp (15 mL); set aside. Combine zest, tuna, mayonnaise, 2 tbsp (30 mL) of the parsley, onion, 1 tbsp (15 mL) of the capers and 1/2 tsp (2 mL) of the black pepper in Classic Batter Bowl; mix well. Spoon filling into large resealable plastic bag; set aside.
For relish, core and seed tomatoes using Core & More. Finely dice tomatoes using Chef's Knife. Combine tomatoes, lemon juice, remaining 2 tbsp (30 mL) parsley, remaining 2 tbsp (30 mL) capers and remaining 1/2 tsp (2 mL) black pepper in Small Batter Bowl; mix well.
- To assemble cannelloni, trim corner of bag containing filling using Professional Shears. Pipe filling into pasta shells. Serve cannelloni with relish.
- 6 servings of 1 cannelloni
- 6 servings of 1/3 cup relish
Nutrients per serving:
Calories 170, Calories from Fat 50, Total Fat 6 g, Saturated Fat 1 g, Trans Fat 0 g, Cholesterol 25 mg, Sodium 320 mg, Carbohydrate 18 g, Fiber 2 g, Sugars 3 g, Protein 14 g
U.S. Diabetic exchanges per serving:
1 starch, 1/2 vegetable, 1 1/2 low-fat meat (1 carb)
When purchasing manicotti shells, check to make sure they are not broken.