- 1 broiler-fryer chicken (about 3 lbs/1.4 kg)
- 3/4 tsp (4 mL) salt
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) coarsely ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) olive oil
- 1 medium onion, sliced into thin wedges
- 1 large green bell pepper, cut into strips
- 2 garlic cloves, pressed
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) dried oregano
- 1 can (6 oz or 156 mL) tomato paste
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) dry white wine
- 10 pitted ripe olives, coarsely chopped
- 8 oz (250 g) mushrooms, thinly sliced
Remove and discard giblets and neck from chicken cavity. Rinse chicken with cold water; pat dry with paper towels. Cut chicken into pieces using Forged Cutlery-5" Boning Knife as directed in use and care. Season chicken pieces on all sides with salt and black pepper.
Add oil to (12-in./30-cm) Skillet; heat over medium heat 1-3 minutes or until shimmering. Add chicken pieces; cook 3-4 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Remove chicken breasts to plate; tent with aluminum foil and set aside. Add onion, garlic and oregano to Skillet. Cook and stir 4-5 minutes or until the onion is tender.
Meanwhile, combine tomato paste, wine and olives in medium bowl; add to Skillet and stir to coat chicken pieces (mixture will be thick). Cover and cook over low heat 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add chicken breasts, bell pepper and mushrooms. Cook 10-15 minutes or until pepper is tender and Digital Pocket Thermometer inserted into thickest part of breast registers 170°F (77°C). Turn chicken pieces to coat well in sauce. Serve immediately.
- 6 servings
Nutrients per serving:
Calories 350, Total Fat 14 g, Saturated Fat 3 g, Cholesterol 110 mg, Carbohydrate 11 g, Protein 43 g, Sodium 590 mg, Fiber 2 g