Pesto Polenta Squares with Tomato Ragout
- Pesto Polenta
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 cups (500 mL) lightly packed fresh basil leaves
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) olive oil
- ½ tsp (2 mL) black pepper
- ½ tsp (2 mL) salt (optional)
- 3 cups (750 mL) unsweetened soy milk
- 1 cup (250 mL) instant polenta
- Tomato Ragout
- 8 oz (250 g) white button mushrooms
- 1 large shallot
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 containers (10 oz each) grape tomatoes
- 1 can (15 oz or 540 mL) no-salt-added cannellini beans, drained, rinsed
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) capers, drained
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) balsamic vinegar
- ½ tsp (mL) crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 oz (60 g) mozzarella soy cheese (about ½ cup/125 mL grated)
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) thinly sliced fresh basil leaves
Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Generously spray wells of Brownie Pan with olive oil using Kitchen Spritzer. For pesto, press garlic into Manual Food Processor with Garlic Press. Add basil, oil, black pepper and salt, if you’d like; process until basil is coarsely chopped. Set aside.
For polenta, pour soy milk into Classic Batter Bowl. Microwave, uncovered, on HIGH 3-5 minutes or until milk is steaming. Slowly whisk in polenta with Stainless Whisk. Continue microwaving 2-3 minutes, whisking every minute, until thickened. Add pesto to polenta mixture; whisk until thoroughly combined.
With Large Scoop, divide polenta mixture evenly into wells of pan and spread evenly. Bake 10-13 minutes or until edges are light golden brown.
Meanwhile for ragout, slice mushrooms with Egg Slicer Plus®. Finely chop shallot with Food Chopper. Generously spray 11- or 12-in. (28- or 30-cm) Skillet with oil using Kitchen Spritzer; heat over medium heat 3-5 minutes or until shimmering. Add mushrooms and shallot; press in garlic with Garlic Press. Cook and stir 4 minutes or until mushrooms begin to brown. Move mushroom mixture to side of Skillet. Add tomatoes; cook, covered, 4-5 minutes or until tomato skins start to split. Carefully break up tomatoes with Nylon Masher and mix with mushrooms. Reduce heat to medium-low; add remaining ragout ingredients, except soy cheese and basil. Cook 4-5 minutes or until heated through.
- 6 servings of (2 polenta squares and ½ cup/125 mL ragout)
Nutrients per serving:
Calories 320, Total Fat 10 g, Saturated Fat 1 g, Cholesterol 0 g, Sodium 160 g, Carbohydrate 43 g, Fiber 7 g, Protein 16 g
U.S. Diabetic exchanges per serving:
2 Starch, 1/2 Milk, 1 Vegetable, 1 Fat (2 1/2 Carb)