Southwestern Two-Bean Salad
Pinto and black beans are a flavorful duo in a new version of a marinated bean salad.
- 1/2 cup white vinegar
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 cans (15 ounces) pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can (15 1/4 ounces) whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 large red bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup finely chopped red onion
- 2 fresh jalapeño peppers, seeded and finely chopped (1/4 -1/3 cup)
- 1/4 cup snipped fresh cilantro
Chop onion and jalapeño peppers using Food Chopper (see Cook's Tip). Snip cilantro using Professional Shears. Add onion, jalapeño peppers, cilantro and dressing to bean mixture. Mix gently. Cover and refrigerate 2-3 hours to allow flavors to blend.
- 12 servings of 1/2 cup
Nutrients per serving:
Calories 120, Total Fat 5 g, Saturated Fat 0 g, Cholesterol 0 mg, Carbohydrate 16 g, Protein 4 g, Sodium 370 mg, Fiber 4 g
U.S. Diabetic exchanges per serving:
1 starch, 1 fat (1 carb)
Wear plastic gloves when working with fresh jalapeño peppers. Their seeds and membranes contain oils that will irritate your skin. Use the Quikut Paring Knife to cut peppers in half, then remove seeds and membranes using The Corer™.
Be sure to drain the canned beans using the large Stainless Mesh Colander, then place the colander under cold running water to rinse beans.