Quick Turkey Chili
- 1 cup (250 mL) chopped onion
- 1 cup (250 mL) diced green bell pepper
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 lb (450 g) 99% lean ground turkey
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) canola or olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, pressed
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
- 1 1/2 tbsp (22 mL) taco seasoning mix
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1 can (28 oz or 796 mL) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (15 oz or 398 mL) black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can (16 oz or 398 mL) chili beans in sauce, undrained
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) hot water
Place onion, bell pepper and jalapeño pepper in (4-qt./3.8-L) Casserole; cook and stir over medium heat 4-6 minutes or until tender.
In large bowl, combine turkey, oil, garlic and salt. Add vegetables to turkey mixture; mix well.
Spoon mixture into Casserole; cook and stir over medium heat 5-6 minutes or until no longer pink, breaking turkey into large crumbles (do not brown).
- Add seasoning mix and flour; stir well to coat. Add tomatoes, beans and water; bring to a simmer and cook 4-6 minutes. Remove from heat; serve immediately.
- 6 servings
Nutrients per serving:
Calories 290, Total Fat 6 g, Saturated Fat 0 g, Cholesterol 30 mg, Carbohydrate 34 g, Protein 26 g, Sodium 1010 mg, Fiber 11 g