Homemade Chicken Soup
- 4 chicken leg quarters, skin and fat removed
- 8 cups (2 L) low-sodium chicken broth
- 4 cups (1 L) water
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, pressed
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) chopped fresh parsley, divided
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) chopped carrot
- 1 cup (250 mL) chopped celery
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) lemon juice
Combine chicken, broth, water, onion and garlic in (8-qt./7.6-L) Stockpot over medium-high heat; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer; skim fat and foam off top using Skimmer. Stir in bay leaves and half of the parsley. Simmer 45 minutes, skimming occasionally.
Remove chicken pieces from Stockpot and set aside until cool enough to handle. Meanwhile, add carrots and celery to soup; simmer 15 minutes. Remove chicken meat from bones; discard bones and return chicken to soup. Stir in lemon juice. Ladle soup into bowls and sprinkle with remaining parsley.
- 8 cups (2 L)
Nutrients per serving:
Calories 180, Total Fat 4.5 g, Saturated Fat 1 g, Cholesterol 95 mg, Carbohydrate 5 g, Protein 28 g, Sodium 760 mg, Fiber 1 g