Harvest Pasta Skillet
Pumpkin adds appealing color and texture to this vegetarian dish.
- 1 large onion
- 8 oz (250 g) white mushrooms
- ½ tbsp (7 mL) olive oil
- 1 can (15 oz or 425 mL) solid pack pumpkin
- 4 cups (1 L) low-sodium vegetable broth
- ¾ cup (175 mL) dry white wine such as Chardonnay
- ½ cup (125 mL) water
- 5 garlic cloves, pressed
- ¼ tsp (1 mL) salt
- 1 pkg (14.5 oz/411 g) uncooked protein-enriched multigrain penne pasta
- ¼ cup (50 mL) shelled pistachios
- ½ cup (125 mL) heavy whipping cream
- 1 oz (30 g) Parmesan cheese
- Coarsely ground black pepper and chopped fresh parsley (optional)
- 1½ tbsp (22 mL) paprika
- 1½ tsp (7 mL) curry powder
- 1 tsp (5 mL) sugar
- ¾ tsp (4 mL) each ground cumin and ground ginger
- ½ tsp (2 mL) ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp (1 mL) chili powder
- ¼ tsp (1 mL) salt
Thinly slice the onion using a Simple Slicer on the #2 setting. Cut the onion slices in half with the Forged Chef's Knife. Slice the mushrooms using Egg Slicer Plus®. Heat the oil in the Stainless Steel (12-in./30-cm) Covered Skillet over medium-high heat 1-3 minutes or until shimmering. Add the onion and mushrooms. Cook and stir 2-3 minutes or until the onion is translucent. Meanwhile, combine the pumpkin, broth, wine, and water in the Classic Batter Bowl; whisk well using the Stainless Whisk.
Combine the seasoning.
Add the garlic pressed with the Garlic Press, seasoning, and salt to the skillet; cook 10-20 seconds or until fragrant. Stir in the pumpkin mixture. Bring to a simmer; stir in the pasta. Reduce the heat to medium; cover and cook 9-11 minutes or until the pasta is tender, stirring occasionally.
Meanwhile, coarsely chop the pistachios using the Food Chopper. Turn off the burner and stir in the cream. Grate the cheese over the pasta mixture using the Rotary Grater. Sprinkle with pistachos. Garnish with black pepper and parsley, if desired.
- 10 1/2 cups/2.5 L
8 servings of 1 1/3 cups/325 mL
Nutrients per serving:
(about 1 1/3 cups/325 mL): Calories 350, Total Fat 11 g, Saturated Fat 4.5 g, Cholesterol 25 mg, Sodium 450 mg, Carbohydrate 46 g, Fiber 7 g, Protein 14 g
Pistachios have a fresher flavor and brighter green color when purchased in their shells. Shell pistachios prior to preparing this recipe.
A store-bought Moroccan seasoning can be substituted for the seasoning mixture.