Grilled Georgia Peach and Chicken Salad
Watercress, with its tender and peppery leaves, mingles with sun-ripened peaches, chunks of grilled chicken and fresh mint for a lively summer salad.
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) plain nonfat yogurt
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) fresh lime juice
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) peach preserves
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) snipped fresh mint leaves
- 1/8 tsp (0.5 mL) salt
- Chicken and Salad
- 1 tsp (5 mL) vegetable oil
- 1 garlic clove, pressed
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves (4-6 oz/125-175 g each)
- Salt and coarsely ground black pepper
- Grilled Cornbread Wedges (optional, see Cook's Tip)
- 2 large peaches, pitted and cut into 3/4-in. (2-cm) wedges
- 1 cup (250 mL) lightly packed watercress leaves
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) toasted chopped pecans
For dressing, whisk ingredients in Small Batter Bowl until well blended. Cover; refrigerate until ready to use.
Prepare grill for direct cooking over medium coals. Meanwhile, for chicken, combine oil and garlic in (1-cup/250-mL) Prep Bowl; brush over chicken. Season with salt and black pepper.
If desired, prepare Grilled Cornbread Wedges and set aside. For salad, place peach wedges on lightly greased grid of grill. Grill, covered, 2-3 minutes, carefully turning once using BBQ FlexibleTurner when grill marks appear. Remove peaches from grill. Place chicken on grid of grill. Grill, covered, 12-15 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink in center, turning occasionally. Remove chicken from grill; cut into 1/2-in. (1 cm) cubes. Place chicken and peaches in Stainless (4-qt./4-L) Mixing Bowl; add dressing and mix gently. Cover; refrigerate about 2 hours or until chilled.
- To serve, add watercress to chicken mixture; toss lightly. Place on serving plates. Sprinkle with pecans. Serve with Grilled Cornbread Wedges, if desired.
- 4 servings
Nutrients per serving:
Calories 240, Total Fat 8 g, Saturated Fat 1 g, Cholesterol 65 mg, Carbohydrate 14 g, Protein 29 g, Sodium 230 mg, Fiber 2 g
U.S. Diabetic exchanges per serving:
1 fruit, 4 low-fat meat (1 carb)
Watercress has small, smooth leaves and is sold in bunches. Separate the watercress and break off the small branches from the thick main stems. Discard any leaves that are bruised or yellow. Gently wash the leaves using the Salad & Berry Spinner and spin dry.
For Grilled Cornbread Wedges, cut purchased cornbread into wedges; split in half horizontally. Place cornbread on lightly greased grid of grill. Grill, uncovered, 30-60 seconds or until grill marks appear.