Braised Chicken in Wine Sauce
- 8 slices uncooked bacon, thinly sliced
- 8 bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs (5-6 oz/150-175 g each)
- 1 1/2 tsp (7 mL) salt, divided
- 1 tsp (5 mL) coarsely ground black pepper, divided
- 12 oz (350 g) yellow potatoes, cut in 1-in. (2.5-cm) pieces
- 4 medium carrots, peeled and cut in 1-in. (2.5-cm) pieces
- 2 medium onions, cut in 1-in. (2.5-cm) pieces
- 8 oz (250 g) mushrooms (3 cups/750 mL chopped)
- 4 garlic cloves, sliced
- 2 1/4 cups (550 mL) chicken stock, divided
- 2 cups (500 mL) dry white wine such as Chardonnay
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) chopped fresh thyme leaves
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) all-purpose flour
Preheat oven to 350ºF (180ºC). Place bacon into pan of Covered Roaster. Cook over medium heat 8-10 minutes or until crisp. Remove bacon from pan; drain on paper towels. Carefully drain pan, reserving 2 tbsp (30 mL) drippings. Season chicken with 1/2 tsp (2 mL) each of the salt and black pepper. Cook chicken in pan 3-4 minutes per side or until golden brown. Remove chicken from pan.
Add reserved drippings, potatoes, carrots, onions, mushrooms and garlic to pan. Cook 5-6 minutes or until browned, stirring occasionally. Add 2 cups (500 mL) of the stock, wine, thyme and bacon. Return chicken to pan. Bring to a simmer; cover with lid and bake 1 hour or until potatoes are tender.
Meanwhile, whisk together flour and remaining 1/4 cup (50 mL) stock in small mixing bowl. Remove roaster from oven. Carefully remove lid. Set chicken aside in lid. Return pan with vegetable mixture to stovetop; bring to a simmer over medium heat. Stir in flour mixture, remaining 1 tsp (5 mL) salt and remaining 1/2 tsp (2 mL) black pepper. Simmer 5-6 minutes or until thickened. Serve chicken with sauce and vegetables.
- 8 servings
Nutrients per serving:
Calories 490, Total Fat 30 g, Saturated Fat 9 g, Cholesterol 115 mg, Sodium 910 mg, Carbohydrate 17 g, Fiber 3 g, Protein 27 g