Mediterranean Steak Salad
Making this hearty salad on a weeknight is a cinch. Just marinate the steak in the morning and finish preparation after work.
- Marinade and Steak
- 2/3 cup balsamic vinaigrette salad dressing
- 4 garlic cloves, pressed
- 1 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 1/8 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
- 1 beef flank steak (1 1/2-2 pounds)
- 1 can (14 ounces) artichoke hearts in water, drained and cut into quarters
- 3 plum tomatoes, cut into wedges
- 1 cup cucumber slices, cut in half
- 1/2 small red onion, cut into thin wedges
- 1/2 cup pitted ripe olives, sliced
- 1 bag (10 ounces) hearts of romaine lettuce, torn into pieces (8 cups)
- 1 package (4 ounces) crumbled feta cheese
- 3/4 cup balsamic vinaigrette salad dressing
For marinade, combine dressing, garlic pressed with Garlic Press, oregano and black pepper in Small Batter Bowl; whisk using Stainless Whisk. Place steak and marinade in resealable plastic food storage bag; turn to coat. Marinate in refrigerator 6-8 hours or overnight, turning occasionally.
Prepare grill for direct cooking over medium coals. For salad, quarter artichoke hearts and cut tomatoes into wedges using Chef's Knife. Slice cucumber using Ultimate Mandoline; cut slices in half. Slice onion into thin wedges. Slice olives with Egg Slicer Plus®.
Remove steak from marinade; discard marinade. Place steak on grid of grill. Grill, uncovered, 17-21 minutes or until steak is medium rare (145°F) to medium (160°F) doneness, turning occasionally using BBQ Tongs. Remove steak from grill to Large Grooved Cutting Board. Carve steak diagonally across the grain into thin slices using Carving Set (see Cook's Tip).
Arrange lettuce on large serving platter; top with steak slices, artichokes, tomatoes, cucumber, onion and olives. Top with feta cheese. Serve salad using Bamboo Salad Tongs; drizzle with dressing.
- 6 servings
Nutrients per serving:
Calories 520, Total Fat 33 g, Saturated Fat 10 g, Cholesterol 85 mg, Carbohydrate 19 g, Protein 38 g, Sodium 880 mg, Fiber 6 g
U.S. Diabetic exchanges per serving:
1 starch, 5 meat, 1 1/2 fat (1 carb)
It's easy to see long fibers that run the length of the flank steak. When carving, cut the meat into thin strips diagonally across these fibers (the grain) in order to get tender pieces of meat.
The ingredients for this salad can be prepared in advance. Wash lettuce, if necessary, place in resealable plastic food storage bag and refrigerate. Prepare vegetables, place in separate containers and refrigerate.
For decorative cucumber slices, score cucumber lengthwise using Zester/Scorer and remove seeds with The Corer™ before slicing into rounds.