Spumoni Spritz Cookies
These cookies deliver the traditional spumoni ice cream flavors: cherry, pistachio and chocolate.
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) shelled pistachios
- 53-63 maraschino cherries, well drained and cut in half, divided
- 1 square (1 oz/30 g) semi-sweet chocolate for baking, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) butter (3 sticks), softened
- 1 cup (250 mL) granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 4 cups (1 L) all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp (7 mL) almond extract
- 6 drops green food coloring
- 4 drops red food coloring
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) powdered sugar
Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C). Grate pistachios with Rotary Grater. Finely chop eight of the cherries with Food Chopper; blot with paper towel. Place chocolate in Small Micro-Cooker®; microwave, uncovered, on HIGH 30-60 seconds or until melted and smooth, stirring every 30 seconds.
In Stainless (4-qt./4-L) Mixing Bowl, beat butter and granulated sugar on medium speed of electric hand mixer about 3 minutes or until creamy. Add egg; beat until light and fluffy. Gradually add flour; mix on low speed just until blended. (Dough will be stiff. Do not refrigerate.)
Divide dough into three equal portions; place into each of three Stainless Mixing Bowls. To one portion of the dough, add pistachios, almond extract and green food coloring; mix well. To another portion of the dough, add chopped cherries and red food coloring. To remaining dough, add melted chocolate. Beat each dough on medium speed just until blended.
- Shape each portion into a 15-in. (38-cm) log on lightly floured Cutting Board. Cut logs crosswise into thirds. Fit Cookie Press with disk #2 or #6. Place one portion of each color into Cookie Press. Press dough onto Cookie Sheet 1 in. apart. Place cherry halves onto cookies.
- Bake 10-12 minutes or until edges are light golden brown. Cool cookies 2 minutes on Cookie Sheet; remove to Stackable Cooling Rack. Repeat with remaining dough. Cool completely. Lightly sprinkle cookies with powdered sugar using Flour/Sugar Shaker.
- 7 dozen servings of 1
Nutrients per serving:
Calories 70, Total Fat 3.5 g, Saturated Fat 2 g, Cholesterol 10 mg, Carbohydrate 9 g, Protein 1 g, Sodium 25 mg, Fiber 0 g
U.S. Diabetic exchanges per serving:
1/2 starch, 1/2 fat (1/2 carb)
Rolling dough into 15-in. (38-cm) logs creates the proper diameter to fit into the Cookie Press. Tilt the barrel of the press to insert the dough logs. If you have difficulty inserting the last log into the barrel, remove the collar of the press, cut the log in half and place half of the log from the front and half of the log from the back.
A 16-oz. jar of maraschino cherries yields about 46 cherries. You will also need a second, smaller jar for this recipe.
To store baked cookies, place between layers of Parchment Paper in a freezer container and freeze for up to 4 months.