Upside-Down Chocolate-Mint Pie
This silky, mint-chocolate pie turns the notion of pie upside-down with tantalizing results.
- 2 cups (500 mL) all-purpose flour
- 5 tbsp (75 mL) sugar, divided
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/8 tsp (0.5 mL) salt
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) cold butter
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) solid vegetable shortening
- 4-5 tbsp (60-75 mL) ice-cold water
- Filling and Topping
- 1 pkg (5 oz/141 g) chocolate cook and serve pudding mix (6 servings)
- 2 1/2 cups (625 mL) milk
- 1 pkg (4.67 oz) crème de menthe chocolate candies (about 28 candies), unwrapped, divided
- 1 pkg (8 oz/250 g) cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup (250 mL) heavy whipping cream
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) powdered sugar
- Mint-chocolate curls (see Cook's Tip)
Preheat oven to 450°F (230°C). Combine flour, 2 tbsp (30 mL) of the sugar, cocoa powder and salt in Stainless (4-qt./4-L) Mixing Bowl. Using Pastry Blender, cut in butter and shortening until the size of small peas. Sprinkle with 1 tbsp (15 mL) water; toss gently with a fork. Repeat using 1 tbsp (15 mL) of water at a time until dough forms into a ball.
Sprinkle Pastry Mat with remaining sugar. Divide dough in half; form into two disks. Refrigerate one disk. Place remaining disk on mat. Roll into a 12-in. (30-cm) circle using Baker's Roller®. Press gently, sugar-side down, into a 9-in. (23-cm) pie plate. Trim edges even with pie plate. Press a double layer of aluminum foil over edges. Bake 8 minutes. Remove foil; bake 5 minutes or until firm and dry. Remove to Stackable Cooling Rack. Reduce oven temperature to 325°F (160°C).
In (2-qt./1.9-L) Saucepan, whisk together pudding mix and milk. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly; cook and stir 1 minute. Remove from heat. Place 24 of the candies in Classic Batter Bowl. Microwave on HIGH 30-60 seconds or until melted, stirring after 30 seconds. Add cream cheese and pudding; whisk until smooth. Spread into crust.
- Place remaining dough disk on lightly floured mat. Roll into a 12-in. (30-cm) circle. Gently prick crust with tool. Place crust over filling; press edges. Trim edges. Bake 23-28 minutes or until crust is firm and dry. Remove to cooling rack; cool 1 hour. Cover; refrigerate at least 4 hours or overnight. Beat cream on high speed of electric hand mixer to soft peaks. Add powdered sugar; beat to stiff peaks. Carefully invert pie onto serving plate. Spread cream over pie. Garnish and serve.
- 12 servings
Nutrients per serving:
Calories 390, Total Fat 26 g, Saturated Fat 16 g, Cholesterol 60 mg, Carbohydrate 35 g, Protein 6 g, Sodium 180 mg, Fiber 1 g
U.S. Diabetic exchanges per serving:
2 starch, 1/2 fruit, 6 fat (2 1/2 carb)
Starting with cold butter and shortening makes the flakiest pie crust. The fats melt during baking, leaving air pockets in the crust.
The dough can be covered and refrigerated overnight. The dough can also be frozen up to 2 months in advance and thawed in the refrigerator.
To make chocolate curls, place remaining four candies on microwavable plate. Microwave, uncovered, on HIGH 5-10 seconds or until slightly softened. Using Vegetable Peeler, peel the thin edge of mint, pulling the blade towards you.