Chocolate Stout Cake
Stout beer and molasses contribute complex malt flavors to a moist chocolate cake.
- Nonstick cooking spray with flour
- 1 1/4 cups (300 mL) stout beer (see Cook’s Tip)
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) light molasses
- 1 2/3 cups (400 mL) all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 tsp (7 mL) baking powder
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) baking soda
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) salt
- 1 1/4 cups (300 mL) butter (2½ sticks), softened
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) packed light brown sugar
- 3 eggs
- Additional unsweetened cocoa powder for dusting
- Syrup & Glaze
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) stout beer
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) sugar
- 3 oz (90 g) semi-sweet chocolate, chopped
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) heavy whipping cream
Preheat oven to 325°F (160°C). Spray Stoneware Fluted Pan with nonstick cooking spray with flour. For cake, heat stout and molasses in (1.5-qt./1.4-L) Saucepan over high heat until boiling; remove from heat. Transfer stout mixture to Stainless (2-qt./2-L) Mixing Bowl and refrigerate until cool.
Meanwhile, combine flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt in Small Batter Bowl. Beat butter and brown sugar in Stainless (4-qt./4-L) Mixing Bowl on medium speed of electric mixer until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, one at a time, mixing after each addition. On low speed, add flour mixture in three additions, alternating with stout mixture in two additions; mix just until blended.
Spoon batter into prepared pan; spread evenly with Small Spreader. Bake 50-55 minutes or until wooden pick inserted near center of cake comes out clean. Remove from oven; cool cake in pan 10 minutes. Meanwhile, for syrup, combine stout and sugar in clean Saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat; reduce heat to medium-low and simmer 5 minutes. Invert cake onto Stackable Cooling Rack. Using Chef’s Silicone Basting Brush, brush syrup over cake.
Sprinkle additional cocoa powder over cake using Flour/Sugar Shaker. For glaze, combine chocolate and cream in Small Micro-Cooker®; microwave, uncovered, on HIGH 45-60 seconds or until mostly melted, stirring every 30 seconds. Drizzle glaze over cake.
- 16 servings
Nutrients per serving:
Calories 360, Total Fat 19 g, Saturated Fat 12 g, Cholesterol 85 mg, Sodium 250 mg, Carbohydrate 46 g, Fiber 2 g, Protein 4 g
U.S. Diabetic exchanges per serving:
1 starch, 2 fruit, 3 1/2 fat (3 carb)
After pouring the stout, allow the foam to settle for more accurate measuring.