This recipe is great when served with zucchini noodles, but you can also add some fresh kale or spinach to the sauce while it simmers.
- 4 bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs (4–6 oz./125–175 g each)
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) Garlic & Herb Rub
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) vegetable oil
- 8 oz. (250g) cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 1 medium red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 can (28 oz./794 g) petite diced tomatoes, undrained
- ¼ tsp (1 mL) salt
- For serving: Pasta, rice, or zucchini noodles Optional: Finely grated Parmesan cheese
Season the chicken with 1 tbsp (15 mL) of rub.
Heat the oil in a 12" (30-cm) skillet over medium heat for 3–4 minutes.
Cook the chicken, skin-side down, until golden brown, 3–4 minutes. Flip and cook an additional 1–2 minutes. Set the chicken aside and pour all but 1 tbsp (15 mL) of fat from the pan.
Add the mushrooms to the pan and cook until softened, 3–4 minutes. Add the onion and pepper and cook an additional 3–4 minutes.
Add the tomatoes, remaining 1 tbsp (15 mL) of the rub, and salt, and bring to a simmer. Return the chicken to the pan, nestling it into the sauce. Reduce the heat slightly and simmer until the chicken reaches 165°F (74°C), about 20–25 minutes.
- Meanwhile cook the pasta, rice, or zucchini noodles according to the package directions. Serve the chicken with some of the sauce and the side of your choice. Top it with Parmesan cheese, if you’d like.
- 4 servings
Nutrients per serving:
U.S. nutrients per serving: Calories 150, Total Fat 3 g, Saturated Fat 1 g, Cholesterol 65 mg, Sodium 970 mg, Carbohydrate 14 g, Fiber 2 g, Sugars 8 g (includes 0 g added sugar), Protein 17 g
Skip the Mushrooms: Mushrooms add savory flavor to this dish, but if you aren’t a fan, you can leave them out.
Recipe Developed for TasteBuds
Exclusive Seasonings and New Recipes Delivered Every MonthShop >