Chicken Piccata Pasta
Creamy and lemony, this dish is a fresh take on piccata and is made in a fraction of the time!
- 1¼ lbs (575 g) boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) olive oil, divided
- 1½ tbsp (22 mL) Lemon Pepper Rub
- 3 cans (14.5 oz./411 g each) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- ½ medium onion
- 12 oz. (350 g) uncooked angel hair pasta
- 1 lemon
- 2 oz. (60 g) cream cheese, softened
- 1 can (14 oz./396 g) quartered artichoke hearts in water, drained
- ¼ cup (60 mL) capers, drained and rinsed
- Optional: Chopped fresh parsley and grated fresh Parmesan cheese
Cut chicken into 1" (2.5-cm) pieces. Combine the chicken, 1 tbsp (15 mL) of the oil, and the rub in a medium bowl and toss to coat.
Heat the remaining oil in a 12" (30-cm) skillet over medium-high heat 1–3 minutes. Add chicken to the skillet; cook and stir for 10 minutes or until the chicken is golden brown and the centers are no longer pink. Remove the chicken from the skillet and set aside.
Meanwhile, cook the broth in a large microwave-safe bowl, covered, for 8–10 minutes or until broth comes to a boil.
Coarsely chop the onion and add it to the skillet; cook until the onion is fragrant, about 1 minute.
Carefully add the broth and pasta, and cook, uncovered, until the pasta is tender, stirring occasionally for 7–8 minutes.
Zest the lemon to measure 1 tbsp (15 mL). Juice the lemon to measure 2 tbsp (30 mL). Add the zest, juice, and cream cheese to the skillet; stir until the cream cheese is fully incorporated.
Add the chicken and artichokes to the skillet. Cook, covered for 1–2 minutes or until heated through. Remove from the heat and stir in the capers. Garnish with parsley and Parmesan cheese, if you’d like.
- 6 servings
Nutrients per serving:
Calories 440, Total Fat 10 g, Saturated Fat 3 g, Cholesterol 65 mg, Carbohydrate 53 g, Protein 35 g, Sodium 1410 mg, Fiber 6 g
To substitute Lemon Pepper Rub, in Step 1, toss chicken with 1 tsp (5 mL) each salt and coarsely ground black pepper. In Step 2, add 2 pressed garlic cloves to onion; cook as directed. In Step 3, increase lemon juice to 3 tbsp (45 mL).