Zucchini Noodles with Crushed Tomato Sauce
This is a new spin on the classic veggie noodles with tomato sauce. Stir fresh spiralized zucchini into this homemade sauce that is a more economical and healthier option than store bought!
- Zucchini Noodles
- 5 medium zucchini, ends trimmed, cut into halves or thirds
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) plus 1 tsp (5 mL) olive oil, divided
- 1 small carrot, peeled
- 6 garlic cloves, pressed
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) dried basil leaves
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) dried red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1 can (28 oz/794 g) crushed tomatoes, undrained
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
- 2 oz (60 g) grated fresh Parmesan cheese (1/2 cup/125 mL grated), plus additional for topping (optional)
For noodles, spiralize zucchini with the fettucine blade on the Veggie Spiralizer.
Heat 1 tsp (5 mL) of the oil in 12” (30 cm) Executive Nonstick Skillet over medium-high 3-5 minutes or until shimmering. Add zucchini; cook 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Turn off heat. Remove zucchini; drain well and press down with paper towels to get rid of any extra moisture; set aside.
For sauce, grate carrot with Microplane® Adjustable Fine Grater.
Heat remaining oil in Skillet. Add garlic, basil, oregano and red pepper flakes: cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Add carrot, tomatoes with their juices and salt.
Cook over medium heat 12-14 minutes or until sauce is thickened, stirring occasionally.
Add zucchini noodles and Parmesan cheese to Skillet; toss to coat. Bring to a boil over high heat; reduce heat and simmer for 2 minutes. Remove from heat. Top with additional Parmesan cheese, if desired.
- 4 servings of 1 1/2 cups/375 mL
Nutrients per serving:
Calories 170, Total Fat 9 g, Saturated Fat 1.5 g, Cholesterol 0 mg, Sodium 630 mg, Carbohydrate 18 g, Fiber 6 g, Protein 5 g
Add cooked chicken, shrimp or tofu for an easy weeknight meal.