This delicious pizza classic will be one that your family asks for again and again!
- Pizza Sauce
- ¼ small onion
- 2–3 fresh basil leaves
- ½ tbsp (7 mL) olive oil
- 1 large garlic clove
- ⅛ tsp (0.5 mL) each dried oregano and red pepper flakes
- ⅛ tsp (0.5 mL) each salt and pepper
- 1 can (8 oz./250 g) tomato sauce
- 1 pkg (13.8 oz./283 g) refrigerated classic pizza crust
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) olive oil, divided
- 6 oz. (175 g) fresh mozzarella cheese (5–6 slices)
- 1 oz. (30 g) fresh Parmesan cheese (½ cup/125 mL grated)
- 5–6 leaves, fresh basil, finely chopped
Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C). Cut the onion into chunks and place them into the Manual Food Processor; process until finely chopped. Roll the basil leaves and use the Pizza & Crust Cutter to slice them into thin ribbons. Add the onion, oil, garlic, seasonings, salt and pepper to the Classic Batter Bowl. Microwave, uncovered, on HIGH for 2 minutes or until the onions are softened and the seasonings are fragrant. Add the tomato sauce and basil, and microwave, uncovered, for 2 minutes.
Use the Chef’s Silicone Basting Brush to brush the White Large Round Stone or the Rockcrok® Grill Stone with 1 tsp (5 mL) of the oil. Place the dough onto the stone and use the Baker’s Roller® to roll out the pizza dough evenly to fit the pan.
- Use the pastry tool from the Baker’s Roller to pierce the dough all over except for the edges. Brush the remaining oil onto the crust. Bake for 12–14 minutes, or until the crust is lightly browned.
To assemble, spoon the sauce onto the crust. Tear 3–4 basil leaves and arrange them on top of the sauce. Place the mozzarella on top of the basil, and top with grated Parmesan.
Bake for 14–16 minutes, or the cheese is melted and lightly browned.
Remove from the oven and let stand for 5 minutes. Sprinkle the finely chopped basil leaves on top of the pizza before serving.
- 6 servings
Nutrients per serving:
US nutrients per serving: Calories 230, Total Fat 7 g, Saturated Fat 2 g, Cholesterol 5 mg, Sodium 760 mg, Carbohydrate 34 g, Fiber 2 g, Protein 8 g
For this recipe, you can also use 1 lb. (450 g) prepared pizza dough or 5-Minute Dough. If using the 5-Minute Dough, bake at 450°F (230°C) for 14–16 minutes or until crust is golden brown. Top as directed, then bake for 7–9 minutes.
You can substitute tomato sauce with 1 cup (250 mL) crushed tomatoes for a more rustic sauce.