This delicious pizza classic will be one that your family asks for again and again!
- 1 pkg Pizza Crust Mix
- ½ cup (125 mL) warm water
- 2½ tbsp (37 mL) olive oil or vegetable oil, divided
- Up to 1/3 cup (75 mL) flour
- 2 large plum tomatoes
- 1 tsp (5 mL) salt
- ⅓ cup (75 mL) of your favorite pizza sauce
- 8 oz. (250 g) fresh mozzarella cheese, sliced into ½” (2.5 cm) thick pieces
- Handful of fresh basil
- ½ cup (75 mL) flour for dusting
Preheat your oven to 450°F (230°C).
- Combine the pizza dough with water and 2 tbsp (30 mL) of the oil. Stir until the dough forms into a soft ball. Turn the dough onto a lightly floured surface. Coat your hands with flour and lightly roll the dough to coat with flour. Knead the dough for 5 minutes, sprinkling with additional flour as needed. Shape the dough into a ball and place an oiled bowl over it. Cover and let rest for 5 minutes.
Slice the tomatoes into 1/4-in. (6-mm) slices with a Tomato Knife. Place onto paper towels. Sprinkle both sides evenly with salt; let stand 15 minutes.
Brush or use a paper towel to spread the Rectangle Stone with the remaining oil. Turn out the dough to the stone. Press to flatten (adding additional flour as needed). Roll dough out to within 1” (2.5 cm) of the edge. Use a fork to pierce the dough all over.
- Bake the crust on the lowest rack of the oven until golden brown, about 10-14 minutes
- Blot the tops of tomato slices with paper towels. Slice the mozzarella into 1/4-inch-thick (6-mm) slices.
Stack the basil leaves, then roll them up. Starting at one end of the roll, thinly slice the roll crosswise to create thin ribbons.
Remove the stone with the crust from the oven and use a spoon to spread the tomato sauce evenly over the dough. Top with tomatoes and cheese. Bake 6-8 minutes or until crust is well browned and crisp and cheese has started to melt.
- Remove the stone with the pizza from the oven and sprinkle the basil over the top. Let the pizza cool on the stone for 5 minutes. Use the Pizza & Crust Cutter to cut the pizza into triangle slices for a traditional Margherita Pizza.
- 8 servings
Nutrients per serving:
U.S. nutrients per serving (1 of 8 pieces): Calories 190, Total Fat 9 g, Saturated Fat 3.5 g, Cholesterol 15 mg, Sodium 540 mg, Carbohydrate 18 g, Fiber 0 g, Sugars 2 g (includes 0 g added sugar), Protein 8 g
You can preheat your stone for an even crispier bottom. Cook for 2-4 minutes less in Step 5.