Chicken, Pesto & Tomato Flatbread
Fresh, homemade pesto is what makes this recipe special. We use toasted walnuts instead of the traditional pine nuts to save on cost and add a nuttier flavor.
- 2 plum tomatoes
- ½ tsp (2 mL) salt
- 1 tsp (5 mL) olive oil, plus 3 tbsp (45 mL), divided
- 1 pkg (11 oz./325 g) refrigerated thin pizza crust
- 1 cup (250 mL) loosely packed fresh basil leaves
- ¼ cup (60 mL) toasted walnuts
- 2 garlic cloves, pressed
- 1 oz. (30 g) Parmesan cheese, finely grated (½ cup/125 mL), divided
- 8 oz. (250 g) mozzarella cheese, coarsely grated (2 cups/500 mL), divided
- 2 cups (500 mL) diced, cooked chicken breast
Preheat the oven to 425°F (220°C). Slice the tomatoes with the Coated Chef's Knife and place on a paper towel-lined plate. Season with salt and let stand until the salt is dissolved.
Brush the Stone Bar Pan with 1 tsp (5 mL) of the oil. Unroll the crust onto the pan, gently stretching and pressing to cover the bottom. Bake until golden brown, about for 11–13 minutes.
Meanwhile, to make the pesto, finely chop the basil and walnuts in a food processor. Use the Garlic Press to press the garlic and add to the other ingredients. Add ¼ cup (mL) of the Parmesan cheese and the remaining oil; pulse to combine.
Mix the pesto, half of the mozzarella cheese, and the chicken in a medium mixing bowl.
After removing the pan from the oven, set the oven to broil. Top the crust with the chicken mixture, tomatoes, and the remaining cheeses. Broil until the cheese is melted and slightly browned, about 1–2 minutes.
- 8 servings
Nutrients per serving:
U.S. nutrients per serving: Calories 350, Total Fat 21 g, Saturated Fat 7 g, Cholesterol 55 mg, Sodium 620 mg, Carbohydrate 21 g, Fiber 1 g, Total Sugars 2 g (Includes 0 g added sugars), Protein 22 g