Italian Roast Beef Sandwiches
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, pressed
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) salt
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) ground black pepper
- 1 beef eye of round roast (about 2 lbs/1 kg)
- 1 can (14.5 oz or 540 mL) crushed tomatoes, undrained
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) beef broth
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) pepperoncini peppers, chopped
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp (5 mL) dried oregano
- 12 Italian rolls or hoagie rolls
Preheat oven to 325°F (160°C). Combine oil, garlic, salt and black pepper. Pierce beef roast at 1-in. (2.5-cm) intervals with Carving Fork. Rub roast with garlic mixture; place in shallow roasting pan.
Roast 1 hour, 30 minutes to 1 hour, 45 minutes or until Digital Pocket Thermometer inserted into thickest part of roast registers 135°F (56°C) for medium doneness. Remove roast and transfer to cutting board. Tent loosely with aluminum foil and let stand 20 minutes. (Temperature will rise to about 145°F/60°C.) Thinly slice roast using Carving Knife.
Combine tomatoes, broth, pepperoncini, vinegar and oregano in 2-qt. (1.9-L) Saucepan; bring to a boil and remove from heat. Stir sliced meat into tomato mixture and serve on rolls.
- 12 servings
Nutrients per serving:
Calories 320, Total Fat 8 g, Saturated Fat 3.5 g, Cholesterol 30 mg, Carbohydrate 35 g, Protein 25 g, Sodium 590 mg, Fiber 3 g