Pressure Cooker Red Lentil & Spinach Soup
Thanks to an electric pressure cooker, this delicious soup comes together quickly.
- 3 large carrots, peeled
- 2 stalks celery
- 1 medium onion
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves
- 4 cups (1 L) vegetable stock
- 1 cup (250 mL) uncooked red lentils, rinsed
- 1 tsp (5 mL) ground cumin
- 1 bay leaf
- ½ tsp (2 mL) each salt and black pepper
- 5 cups (1.25 L) fresh baby spinach leaves
- ½ cup (125 mL) canned coconut milk
- ½ lime
- Slice the carrots and celery with the Simple Slicer on the No. 3 setting. Cut the onion into chunks and place them in the Manual Food Processor; process until coarsely chopped.
- Set the Deluxe Multi Cookerto SEAR and press START. Heat the oil for 3 minutes. Add the carrots, celery, onion, and garlic pressed with the Garlic Press. Cook uncovered for 4 minutes, stirring frequently.* Press CANCEL.
- Add the stock, lentils, cumin, bay leaf, salt, and pepper. Lock the lid and select the SOUP/STOCK setting. Adjust the time to 10 minutes and press START.
- When the timer is up, press CANCEL. Press the steam-release button to manually release the pressure.
- Carefully remove the bay leaf. Stir in the spinach, coconut milk, and juice from the lime pressed with the Citrus Press.* Let the mixture stand, covered, for 5 minutes before serving.
- 6 servings
Nutrients per serving:
per serving (1 cup/250 mL): Calories 220, Total Fat 7 g, Saturated Fat 4 g, Cholesterol 0 mg, Sodium 490 mg, Carbohydrate 31 g, Fiber 7 g, Sugars 4 g, Protein 10 g
Red lentils start out red, but turn pale yellow as they cook. They have a subtle flavor that complements the cumin, coconut, and lime in this soup.
Safety Tip: *The stainless steel inner pot will be hot during and after cooking. Use a long-handled utensil when stirring and removing food.