Deep-Dish Stuffed Focaccia
This recipes has all the flavors of your favorite pizza wrapped up in warm, yeasty bread—delicious!
- 2½ tbsp (37 mL) olive oil, divided, plus more for brushing
- 1 pkg (16 oz./453 g) hot roll mix (including yeast packet)
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) Everything but the Pizza™ Seasoning
- 1 cup (250 mL) hot water (between 120–130°F/49–54°C)
- 12 oz. (350 g) cooked Italian chicken sausage links (4 links), coarsely chopped
- 1 medium red bell pepper, diced
- 6 oz. (175 g) mozzarella cheese, shredded (1½ cups/375 mL)
- 2½ oz. (71 g) sun-dried tomatoes in oil (about 14 tomatoes), drained, patted dry, and diced; divided
- 2 oz. (60 g) resh Parmesan cheese, grated (½ cup/125 mL), divided
- ¾ tsp (4 mL) red pepper flakes
Brush the bottom and sides of a 4-qt. (3.8-L) Dutch Oven with the oil. Combine the hot roll mix, yeast, and seasoning in a bowl; mix well. Prepare the dough according to the package directions, substituting 2 tbsp (30 mL) of the oil for butter.
Knead the dough and let it rest for 5 minutes, then divide the dough in half. Pat half of the dough into a 9" (23-cm) circle on a pastry mat. Place the dough into the Dutch oven and cover with a towel. Pat the remaining dough into a 9" (23-cm) circle on the pastry mat and cover with plastic wrap. Let the dough rise for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, combine the sausage, bell pepper, mozzarella, half of the tomatoes, half of the Parmesan, and the red pepper flakes in a bowl; mix well.
Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C). Spoon the sausage mixture evenly over the dough in the Dutch oven, leaving a ½" (1-cm) border. Place the remaining dough over the sausage mixture. Press down firmly around the dough to seal the edges. Press the dough to create dimples and distribute the filling evenly. Brush the top of the dough with the remaining oil, then sprinkle with the remaining tomatoes and Parmesan.
Bake, covered, for 25 minutes. Uncover and bake for an additional 23–26 minutes, or until golden brown. Remove the Dutch oven and invert the focaccia onto a cooling rack. Let it stand for 10 minutes.
- 8 servings
Nutrients per serving:
Calories 440, Total Fat 19 g, Saturated Fat 5 g, Cholesterol 75 mg, Sodium 920 mg, Carbohydrate 44 g, Fiber 1 g, Protein 25 g
U.S. Diabetic exchanges per serving: