Vegan BBQ Sliders
A South Carolina barbecue sauce has a mustard base, and gets a dose of tanginess from vinegar.
- 1 bulk carrot, peeled and cut into thirds
- 1 sweet potato, ends trimmed and cut in half
- ½ red onion
- ¼ tsp (1 mL) salt
- 12 vegan slider buns
- 12 dill pickle slices (optional)
- South Carolina Barbecue Sauce
- ⅓ cup (75 mL) yellow mustard
- ⅓ cup (75 mL) apple cider vinegar
- 1–2 garlic clove, pressed
- ¼ cup (50 mL) tomato paste
- 2½ tbsp (37 mL) light brown sugar
- ½ tsp (2 mL) reduced-sodium soy sauce
- ¼ tsp (1 mL) paprika
- ¼ tsp (1 mL) black pepper
- ⅛ tsp (0.5 mL) cayenne pepper
Spiralize the carrot and the sweet potato with the fettuccine blade on the Veggie Spiralizer. Then spiralize the red onion with the ribbon blade.
Snip all the vegetables into shorter pieces with the Professional Shears.
Microwave, covered, on HIGH, 12–14 minutes, or until the vegetables are very tender.
Meanwhile, prepare the barbecue sauce by whisking all the sauce ingredients together in a medium bowl.
Remove the baker from the microwave. Pour the sauce over the vegetables and mix well with the tongs.
Microwave, covered, for 1½–2 minutes, or until the sauce starts to thicken and the mixture is warmed through.
Place the vegetable mixture on buns and top with dill pickle slices.
- 6 servings
Nutrients per serving:
U.S. Nutrients per serving (2 sliders): Calories 280, Total Fat 4.5 g, Saturated Fat 0 g, Cholesterol 0 mg, Sodium 580 mg, Carbohydrate 53 g, Fiber 4 g, Sugars 15 g, Protein 10 g
You can make this sauce with our South Carolina-Style Barbecue Rub! Combine 2 tbsp (30 mL) apple cider vinegar, 2 tbsp (30 mL) tomato paste, 1 tbsp (15 ml) light brown sugar, 1 pressed garlic clove, 1 tbsp (15 mL) rub, 1½ tsp (7 mL) water, and ½ tsp (2 mL) reduced sodium soy sauce.
You can also make this recipe with about 1 cup (250 mL) of your favorite barbecue sauce.