Chicken Parmesan Soup
Give this soup some crunch with homemade croutons made in the microwave!
- 1/4 of a 16-oz (450-g) loaf French bread
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) olive oil
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) Garlic & Herb Rub, divided
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) unsalted chicken stock
- 2 cups (500 mL) marinara sauce
- 1 can (14.5 oz) diced tomatoes with garlic and onion (about 1 3/4 cups/425 mL), undrained
- 2 1/2 cups (625 mL) diced cooked chicken breasts
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 oz (30 g) fresh Parmesan cheese
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
Cut bread into 3/4-in. (2-cm) cubes using Color Coated Bread Knife. (You should have about 2 cups/500 mL.)
Toss bread cubes, oil and 1 tbsp (15 mL) of the rub in Deep Covered Baker.
Microwave bread cubes, uncovered, on HIGH 3-4 minutes or until they begin to brown, stirring every minute. Spread croutons over a piece of Parchment Paper to cool.
Stir stock, remaining 2 tbsp (30 mL) rub, marinara sauce, tomatoes, chicken and garlic pressed with Garlic Press into baker.
Microwave, covered, on HIGH 11–13 minutes or until soup is hot.
Grate Parmesan using Microplane® Adjustable Fine Grater.
Carefully remove baker from microwave and stir in Parmesan.
Top soup with half of the mozzarella and sprinkle with half of the croutons. Top with remaining mozzarella.
Let stand, covered, 2–3 minutes or until cheese is melted. Serve soup with remaining croutons.
- 6 servings of about 1 1/4 cups/300 mL
Nutrients per serving:
Calories 330, Total Fat 13 g, Saturated Fat 4 g, Cholesterol 60 mg, Sodium 980 mg, Carbohydrate 23 g, Fiber 3 g, Protein 28 g
Garlic Oil can be substituted for the olive oil, if desired.
We chose unsalted stock in this recipe because it’s a fast and easy way to give the soup concentrated chicken flavor without adding too much salt.
Croutons can be stored at room temperature in an airtight container or resealable plastic bag for 3 to 5 days. Make extra and save them for your salad!