Chicken Tortilla Soup
Make it light - make it Mexican! This soup proves low-cal, low-fat foods can still have loads of flavor.
- 4 (6-inch) corn tortillas
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped
- 3 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves (about 12 ounces)
- 1 garlic clove, pressed
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 cans (14 1/2 ounces each) chicken broth
- 1 can (14 1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies, undrained
- 4 teaspoons fresh cilantro, snipped
- 2 ounces reduced-fat cheddar cheese, shredded (1/2 cup)
- 4 thick slices fresh lime (optional)
Meanwhile, chop onion using Food Chopper. Cut chicken into 1/2-inch pieces using Chef’s Knife. Spray (4-qt.) Casserole with canola oil using Kitchen Spritzer. Heat 1-3 minutes over medium heat or until shimmering. Add chicken; cook and stir 3 minutes. Add onion, garlic pressed with Garlic Press, chili powder and cumin. Cook and stir 2 minutes. Stir in broth, tomatoes and chilies. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes.
Snip cilantro using Professional Shears. Divide tortilla strips among 4 bowls. Ladle soup over tortillas using Ladle. Shred cheese over top with Rotary Grater. Sprinkle soup with cilantro. Garnish each bowl with lime slice to squeeze juice into soup, if desired.
- 4 servings of 1 1/2 cups
Nutrients per serving:
Calories 290, Fat 9 g, Sodium 1320 mg, Dietary Fiber 2 g
Our Southwestern Seasoning Mix can be substituted for the chili powder and cumin. Use 1 1/2 teaspoons.
This recipe can easily be doubled.
Substitute reduced -fat baked tortilla chips for tortilla strips, if desired.