Croque Madame Casserole
A decadent casserole inspired by a sweet and savory ham and cheese breakfast sandwich will be a hit at any meal!
- 12 bread slices, cut in half diagonally
- 1 lb. (450 g) deli ham, thinly sliced
- 12 Swiss cheese slices
- 6 eggs
- 3 cups (750 mL) whole or 2% milk
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) Rosemary Herb Seasoning Mix, divided
- 2 oz. (60 g) Parmesan cheese, finely grated (1 cup/250 mL)
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) butter
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) flour
- 1 cup (250 mL) raspberry or other fruit jelly
- Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Grease a 9" x 13" (23 cm x 33 cm) baking dish. Layer the bread, ham, and cheese shingled, in 3 rows.
- Beat the eggs with 1 cup (250 mL) of milk and 1 tbsp (15 mL) of seasoning mix in a large bowl. Pour the egg mixture over the bread and sprinkle Parmesan cheese on top.
- Bake, uncovered, for 30–35 minutes, or until browned.
Meanwhile, melt the butter over medium heat in a medium saucepan. Whisk in the flour and cook until the butter is absorbed. The mixture should be a light color after about 1–2 minutes. As you continue to whisk, slowly pour in the remaining milk. Continue whisking until the mixture comes to a boil and thickens, about 4–6 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in the remaining seasoning mix.
- When the bread mixture is ready, remove it from the oven. Then, pour the thickened sauce over the hot bread. Let it sit for 10 minutes, so the bread absorbs the sauce while the casserole cools.
- Before serving, heat the jelly in a microwave-safe bowl until it’s pourable, about 30 seconds. Scoop pieces of the casserole onto a plate and drizzle with the warmed jelly to serve.
- 8 servings
Nutrients per serving:
U.S. nutrients per serving: Calories 530, Total Fat 26 g, Saturated Fat 13 g, Cholesterol 215 mg, Sodium 1,340 mg, Carbohydrate 39 g, Fiber 1 g, Sugars 22 g (includes 0 g added sugar), Protein 32 g
Pick Your Protein: Swap ham for sliced turkey or chicken.
Spice It Up: Make a Cuban-inspired casserole by adding 1 tbsp (15 mL) of Dijon mustard to the sauce and topping it with chopped pickles.