Chicken & Orzo Vegetable Soup
- 1 tsp (5 mL) olive oil
- ½ cup (125 mL) chopped onion
- 1 large carrot, peeled and chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, pressed
- 1 tsp (5 mL) dried oregano
- 8 cups (2 L) chicken broth
- 2 cups (500 mL) water
- ¼ tsp (1 mL) black pepper
- ¼ tsp (1 mL) salt
- ⅔ cup (150 mL) uncooked orzo pasta
- 3 cups (750 mL) diced cooked chicken
- 2 cups (500 mL) chopped zucchini
- ½ cup (125 mL) chopped roasted red pepper
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) lemon juice
- Optional toppings: crumbled feta cheese, chopped parsley
- Heat the oil in the 8-qt. (7.6-L) Nonstick Stock Pot over medium heat. Add the onion, carrot, garlic and oregano; cook and stir for 3 minutes.
- Add the broth, water, black pepper, and salt. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat then stir in the orzo and cook for 8-10 minutes, or until the orzo is tender.
- Add the chicken, zucchini and red pepper and return to a boil. Cook for 1 minute then remove the pot from the heat. Stir in the lemon juice and serve immediately with feta cheese and parsley, if you'd like.
- 8 servings
Nutrients per serving:
U.S. nutrients per serving: Calories 180, Total Fat 4.5 g, Saturated Fat 1 g, Cholesterol 40 mg, Sodium 660 mg, Carbohydrate 15 g, Fiber 1 g, Sugars 2 g (includes 0 g added sugar), Protein 19 g