Adobo Chicken Sandwich
This sandwich is a great example of balancing flavors: sweet, salty, sour, savory (umami), and bitter. There’s sweetness from the brown sugar, saltiness from the soy sauce, sourness from the vinegar, savory from the chicken and soy sauce, and bitterness from the arugula.
- Chicken & Cooking Liquid
- 1 medium onion
- 4 4-oz. (125 g) boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- ½ cup (125 mL) white vinegar
- ¼ cup (50 mL) reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) brown sugar
- 2 tsp (10 mL) Garlic Rub
- 1 medium carrot, peeled, coarsely grated
- ½ cucumber, coarsely grated
- 4 sandwich buns
- 2 cups (500 mL) arugula
- 1 ½" (1-cm) piece fresh gingerroot, peeled
- ½ lemon
- 1 green onion, diced
- ½ cup (125 mL) mayonnaise
Cut the onion into 1" (2.5-cm) quarters. Place the onion in the Rockcrok® Everyday Pan, then place the chicken on top of the onion.
- In a medium bowl, combine the vinegar, soy sauce, brown sugar, and garlic rub. Pour the mixture over the chicken.
Microwave, covered, for 12–15 minutes, or until the chicken reaches 165°F (74°C).
Meanwhile, for the sauce, finely grate the ginger to measure 1 tsp (5 mL). Stir and combine the mayonnaise, ginger, lemon juice, and green onion.
Remove the chicken from the pan and transfer the pan to the stove. Simmer the sauce, uncovered, over medium-high heat for 5–8 minutes, or until the liquid is reduced by a third. Cut the chicken into bite-sized pieces.
- To make the sandwich, spread the sauce on each of the buns, add the chicken, and top with the carrot, cucumber, and arugula.
- 4 servings
Nutrients per serving:
U.S. Nutrients per serving (1 sandwich): Calories 410, Total Fat 25 g, Saturated Fat 3.5 g, Cholesterol 55 mg, Sodium 920 mg, Carbohydrate 25 g, Fiber 2 g, Sugar 6 g, Protein 21 g
Adobo chicken is a classic Filipino dish that’s usually served over white rice.
Take it slow by braising the chicken in the Rockcrok® Slow Cooker Stand. Complete steps 1 and 2 as directed, then cook, covered, on HIGH for 4 hours or LOW for 8 hours.