Walnut Quinoa Burgers
- ½ cup (125 mL) quinoa
- 1½ cups (375 mL) water
- 1 cup (250 mL) halved walnuts
- ½ large red onion (about ¾ cup/175 mL chopped)
- ½ tbsp (7 mL) olive oil, plus more for spritzing
- 1 can (16 oz/454 g) dark red kidney beans
- ⅓ cup (75 mL) plain bread crumbs
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) chili powder
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) ground cumin
- ½ tsp (2 mL) salt
- 6 whole wheat sandwich thins, split, toasted
- Optional toppings: Greek yogurt or low-fat sour cream, tomato slices, arugula, avocado slices, or chunky salsa
Prepare the grill for direct cooking over medium heat (350–400°F/180–200°C).
Combine the quinoa and water in the Rice Cooker Plus. Microwave, covered, on HIGH for 15 minutes, or until all of the water is absorbed.
Toast the walnuts in a small skillet over medium heat for 4–6 minutes, stirring frequently, until golden brown and fragrant. Remove the walnuts from the pan.
Use the Food Chopper to finely chop the walnuts and onion (keep them separate).
Return the skillet to the heat; add oil and onion. Cook for 2–3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove the skillet from the heat.
Drain the beans, reserving ¼ cup (50 mL) of the liquid, and rinse. Add the beans to a large mixing bowl, and mash well with the Mix ‘N Masher. Add the bean liquid, cooked quinoa, walnuts, onion, bread crumbs, chili powder, cumin, and salt. Mix well.
Divide the bean mixture into 6 portions. Spray the base and press of the Burger & Slider Press with oil using the Kitchen Spritzer. Add one portion of bean mixture. Press and remove the patty, then repeat with the remaining bean mixture.
Grill the patties, covered, for 2–3 minutes per side, or until grill marks appear.
Place the burgers on sandwich thins and add toppings.
- 6 burgers
1 servings of veggie burger
Nutrients per serving:
You can swap the walnuts for pecans.