Crusty Tomato-Basil Rigatoni
- 1 lb (450 g) uncooked rigatoni pasta
- 1 jar (24 oz or 700 mL) marinara sauce
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) chopped fresh basil, divided
- 3 garlic cloves, pressed
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1 cup (250 mL) fresh bread crumbs
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) butter, melted
- 8 oz (250 g) mozzarella cheese, cubed
Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain pasta, reserving 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) of the pasta cooking water; set aside and keep warm.
Meanwhile, in Stainless (12-in./30-cm) Skillet (do not use executive cookware), combine marinara sauce, half of the basil, garlic and pepper flakes, if desired. Bring to a simmer over medium heat; cook 10-12 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Meanwhile, combine bread crumbs with melted butter; mix well. Preheat broiler on HIGH. Add cooked pasta and reserved pasta water to sauce; toss to coat. Sprinkle evenly with cheese cubes and top with bread crumb mixture. Place Skillet as close as possible to heating element. Broil 5-7 minutes or until cheese is melted and bread crumbs are golden brown. Sprinkle with remaining basil; serve immediately.
- 6 servings
Nutrients per serving:
Calories 510, Total Fat 16 g, Saturated Fat 8 g, Cholesterol 30 mg, Carbohydrate 74 g, Protein 24 g, Sodium 1060 mg, Fiber 3 g