Creamy Avocado Pesto Primavera
- Avocado Pesto
- 1½ oz (45 g) grated fresh Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1 cup (250 mL) lightly packed fresh basil leaves
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) walnuts, toasted
- 1 garlic clove
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) olive oil, divided
- 1/2 ripe avocado, peeled
- 1/2 tbsp (7 mL) fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) salt
- 1 large yellow squash, ends trimmed and cut into half or thirds
- 1 extra-large carrot, peeled, cut into half or thirds
- 1 large zucchini, ends trimmed and cut into half or thirds
- 1 tsp (5 mL) olive oil
- 1 cup (250 mL) cherry tomatoes
- 4 cups (1 L) small fresh broccoli florets
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) water
For avocado pesto, grate cheese with Microplane® Adjustable Fine Grater.
Combine basil, walnuts and garlic in Manual Food Processor; process until finely chopped. Add ¼ cup (50 mL) oil, avocado, lemon juice, salt and ¼ cup (50 mL) grated Parmesan; process until almost smooth. Set aside.
For primavera, spiralize carrot, squash and zucchini with the thick fettuccini blade on the Veggie Spiralizer.
Heat 1 tsp (5 mL) oil in Executive Nonstick Skillet over medium heat 3-5 minutes or until shimmering. Add vegetable noodles; cook 5-7 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Remove Skillet from heat. Drain vegetable noodles well and press down with paper towels to get rid of any extra moisture.
Slice tomatoes in half. Place tomatoes, broccoli and water in Large Micro-Cooker®. Microwave, covered, on HIGH 2-4 minutes or until broccoli is tender; drain.
Toss vegetable noodles with ½ cup (125 mL) avocado pesto, reserving remaining pesto for another use. Top with broccoli and tomatoes. Sprinkle with remaining Parmesan.
- 4 servings
Nutrients per serving:
(1½ cups/375 mL): Calories 240, Total Fat 17 g, Saturated Fat 3 g, Cholesterol 5 mg, Sodium 270 mg, Carbohydrate 18 g, Fiber 8 g, Protein 9 g
The remaining pesto can be topped on each serving, if desired. Or, evenly divide pesto in Herb Freezing Tray, cover and freeze for another use.
Short on time? For a quicker avocado pesto, combine ½ cup (125 mL) prepared pesto with half of a mashed avocado and ½ tbsp (7 mL) fresh lemon juice.