BBQ Pulled Pork Sandwiches
Make pulled pork for a big crowd—or save some for an easy weeknight meal! The apple-cucumber slaw gives a little crunch and sweetness to your sandwiches.
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) light brown sugar
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) paprika
- 1 tsp (5 mL) garlic powder
- 1 tsp (5 mL) salt
- ½ tsp (2 mL) black pepper
- 1 (6-7 lbs./2.7 kg) bone-in pork shoulder or butt roast
- 24 hamburger buns, toasted
- 3 cups (750 mL) favorite bottled barbecue sauce
- Apple Cucumber Slaw
- ⅔ cup (150 mL) mayonnaise
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) cider vinegar
- ½ tsp (2 mL) salt
- 4 large red apples, cored (Gala apples are a great choice!)
- 2 seedless cucumbers
Preheat the oven to 300°F (150°C).
For the pork, combine the brown sugar, paprika, garlic powder, salt, and pepper in a small bowl. Rub the seasoning mixture onto all sides of the pork.
Place the pork, fat-side up, in the 8-qt. (7.6-L) Nonstick Stock Pot and cover. Bake for 5–6 hours or until the pork is falling off the bones.
For the slaw, combine the mayonnaise, vinegar, and salt in a large bowl.
Grate the apple and cucumber into short strips, being careful to avoid the seeds. Pat the apples and cucumbers dry with a paper towel.
Add the apples and cucumber to the dressing and mix gently. Cover and refrigerate the slaw until you’re ready to serve.
Transfer the pork to a large cutting board and let it rest for 10 minutes. Discard the juices.
Trim and discard the skin and fat. Pull out and discard bones. Place the pork back into the pot and shred.
Serve the pork on toasted buns and top with slaw and warmed barbecue sauce.
- servings of 24 (1 Sandwich)
Nutrients per serving:
Calories 450, Total Fat 21 g, Saturated Fat 6 g, Cholesterol 70 mg, Sodium 790 mg, Carbohydrate 42 g, Fiber 2 g, Sugars 20 g (includes 1 g added sugars), Protein 23 g