The kids will absolutely love how this pasta dish tastes like pepperoni pizza and you’ll love how easy it comes together in just one pot!
- 1 tsp (5 mL) canola oil
- 1 medium onion
- 1 large green bell pepper, seeded
- 2 garlic cloves, pressed
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) Italian Seasoning Mix
- 8 oz. (250 g) 90% lean ground beef
- 1 qt. (1 L) beef stock
- 1 jar (14 oz./473 mL) pizza sauce
- ½ cup (125 mL) water
- 1 lb. (450 g) rotini pasta
- ½ pkt (2.5 oz./75 g) pepperoni slices, cut in half
- 1½ oz. (45 g) Parmesan cheese, finely grated (¾ cup/175 mL), divided
- 2 oz. (60 g) low-moisture mozzarella cheese, coarsely grated (½ cup/125 mL)
- Optional: Fresh chopped parsley
Add the onion, bell pepper, garlic, and Italian Seasoning Mix to the Dutch oven; cook, uncovered, until the onion and pepper are soft, about 3 minutes.
Add the ground beef and cook, breaking into crumbles, until the beef is mostly browned, about 8–10 minutes; drain (if necessary).
Stir in the stock, pizza sauce, water, and pasta. Cover and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to low, and cook until pasta is done, about 8–9 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Preheat the broiler and adjust the rack so that the pot is close to the heat source. Remove the pot from the heat; stir in the pepperoni slices and half of Parmesan cheese. Top with the mozzarella and remaining Parmesan.
Broil until the cheese is bubbly and melted, about 2–3 minutes. Remove from the oven. If you’d like, sprinkle with parsley before serving.
- 7 servings
Nutrients per serving:
U.S. nutrients per serving (1½ cups/375 mL): Calories 450, Total Fat 12 g, Saturated Fat 5 g, Cholesterol 45 mg, Sodium 910 mg, Carbohydrate 57 g, Fiber 4 g, Protein 26 g