Cauliflower Shepherd's PieInstead of mashed potatoes, this lower-carb version is topped with cauliflower puree. Perfect when you’re in the mood for a meaty, comfort-food classic.
- Cauliflower Puree
- ½ cup (125 mL) water
- ½ tsp (2 mL) salt
- 1 head of cauliflower (2–3 lbs./1–1.4 kg) or 8–9 cups (2–2.1 L) florets
- Beef Mixture
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) olive oil
- 2 lbs. (1 kg) ground beef
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) Three Onion Rub
- 2 large carrots, peeled
- ¼ cup (60 mL) flour
- ¼ cup (60 mL) tomato paste
- 1⅓ cups (325 mL) beef broth
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) Worcestershire sauce
- 4 oz. (125 g) cheddar cheese
- 2 cups (500 mL) frozen peas
- Chopped fresh chives
Add the cauliflower puree ingredients, in the order listed, to the Deluxe Cooking Blender. Replace and lock the lid. Turn the wheel to select the HEATED PUREE setting; press the wheel to start.*
Place the oven rack 6–8" (15–20 cm) from the heat source. Preheat the broiler.
Meanwhile, heat the oil in the Rockcrok® Dutch Oven over medium heat for 3–5 minutes. Add the ground beef and rub to the pan. Cook for 7–9 minutes, or until the beef is no longer pink, breaking into crumbles with the Mix ‘N Chop.
While the beef is cooking, use the Quick Prep Food Grater fitted with the coarse grating blade to grate the carrots.
When the beef is cooked through, drain the excess liquid. Sprinkle the flour over the beef and mix to combine. Add the carrots to the pan.
Whisk the tomato paste, broth, and Worcestershire sauce in a medium bowl. Pour the mixture into the pan. Simmer the liquid, uncovered, for 5–6 minutes, or until the sauce has thickened and the carrots are tender.
Grate the cheese with the grater. Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the peas.
- When the timer is up on the blender, press CANCEL.** Pour the cauliflower puree over the beef mixture and top with the cheese. Broil for 3–4 minutes, or until the cheese is bubbly and slightly browned. Top with chives.
- 8 servings
Nutrients per serving:
U.S. nutrients per serving (1 cup/250 mL): Calories 480, Total Fat 25 g, Saturated Fat 11 g, Cholesterol 120 mg, Sodium 970 mg, Carbohydrate 22 g, Fiber 7 g, Sugars 8 g, Protein 41 g
* The pitcher will be hot during and after cooking. Do not touch the hot glass.
** Use the pitcher handle and helper handle to tilt and lift the pitcher up from the base. Remove the lid away from your body and use the pitcher handle to pour the food.