Pressure Cooker Homemade Chili
There’s no need to plan ahead for this recipe—you can cook dried beans (without soaking!) in the same time it takes to cook your beef.
- 1½ tsp (7 mL) canola oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, pressed
- 2 tsp (10 mL) salt
- 1 boneless beef chuck pot roast (2 lbs./1 kg), trimmed, cut into 1" (4-cm) pieces
- 1½ tbsp (22 mL) chili powder
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) ground cumin
- 1½ tsp (7 mL) dried oregano
- 1 tsp (5 mL) black pepper
- 1 can (28 oz. or 796 mL) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (6 oz. or 156 mL) tomato paste
- 1 cup (250 mL) dried red kidney beans, rinsed
- 2½ cups (625 mL) water
- Optional toppings: sliced green onions, sour cream, shredded cheese, jalapeño slices
Set the Quick Cooker to SEAR and press START. Heat the oil for 3 minutes. Add the onion, bell pepper, garlic, and salt. Cook uncovered for 4 minutes, stirring frequently.* Press CANCEL.
Add the remaining ingredients. Lock the lid, select the STEW/CHILI setting, and press START.
When the timer is up, let the steam release naturally for 10 minutes. Press the steam-release button to release any remaining pressure. Press CANCEL. Serve with optional toppings.
- 10 servings
Nutrients per serving:
U.S. nutrients per serving (about 1 cup/250 mL): Calories 290, Total Fat 8 g, Saturated Fat 2.5 g, Cholesterol 95 mg, Sodium 790 mg, Carbohydrate 19 g, Fiber 5 g, Sugars 5 g, Protein 36 g
Safety Tip: *The stainless steel inner pot will be hot during and after cooking. Use a long-handled utensil when stirring and removing food.