Winter Squash Soup
- 2 medium butternut squash (about 4 lbs/1.8 kg), peeled
- 4 large carrots, peeled
- 2 medium onions
- 1 tbsp (15mL) olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, presssed
- 1 tbsp (15mL) dried thyme leaves
- 8 cups (2L) chicken stock
- 2 cans (15 oz/425 g each) solid pack pumpkin
- 2 cans (12 oz/345 mL each) evaporated whole milk
- 2 tsp (10 mL) salt
- ½ tsp (2 mL) ground black pepper
- Sour cream and toasted pumpkin seeds (optional)
Cut the squash and carrots into 1” (2.5-cm) chunks. Cut the onions into chunks. Process the onions in batches in the Manual Food Processor until finely chopped.
Heat the oil in the Rockcrok® Dutch Oven XL over medium heat for 3–5 minutes or until shimmering. Add the onions. Cook and stir for 3-4 minutes or until softened.
Add the squash, carrots, pressed garlic, and thyme. Cook and stir for 1 minute or until fragrant.
Add the stock. Cover and bring to a boil over high heat. Cook for 24–26 minutes or until the squash is very soft, stirring occasionally. Remove from the heat.
Carefully ladle about a third of the squash mixture into blender and cover. Remove the stopper from the blender lid and cover with a towel to vent steam. Blend until smooth, then pour the blended soup into a large bowl.
Repeat twice with the remaining squash mixture. Pour the blended soup back into the pot.
Whisk in the pumpkin, evaporated milk, salt, and pepper and bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Remove from heat.
Serve with sour cream and pumpkin seeds, if desired.
- 12 servings of 1½ cups (357mL)
Nutrients per serving:
Calories 210, Total Fat 6 g, Saturated Fat 3 g, Cholesterol 15 mg, Sodium 750 mg, Carbohydrate 34 g, Fiber 7 g, Protein 10 g