Lively flavors abound in this traditional Creole dish. The ingredient list is long, but the oven-baked preparation couldn’t be easier.
- 1/2 cup green bell pepper, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup celery, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, pressed
- 1 can (14 1/2 ounces) Italian-seasoned diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup sliced kielbasa sausage or cubed ham
- 1 cup uncooked converted long-grain white rice
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8-1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1 can (14 1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 8 ounces uncooked, medium fresh shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
Preheat oven to 400°F. With Food Chopper, coarsely chop bell pepper, celery and onion; place in Mini-Baking Bowl. Press garlic into Baking Bowl using Garlic Press. Add tomatoes, sausage, rice and seasonings; stir. Pour broth over rice mixture; cover with Mini-Baker. Bake 55-60 minutes or until rice is tender and liquid has been absorbed. Carefully remove Baker from Bowl. Stir in shrimp and peas; cover. Let stand 10 minutes to cook shrimp until they turn pink.
- 4 servings
Nutrients per serving:
Calories 340, Fat 5 g, Sodium 1690 mg, Dietary Fiber 2 g
Substitute 1/2-pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch cubes, for shrimp. Combine chicken with rice mixture before baking.
Recipe ingredients can be doubled and placed in the Stoneware Baking Bowl. Cover with Deep Dish Baker and bake as directed. Yield: 8 servings