Speedy Shrimp & Sausage Paella
This rendition of the classic Spanish dish achieves delicious, complex flavors with minimal effort.
- 1 medium onion
- 8 oz (250 g) smoked Polish sausage
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) olive oil
- 1 can (14.5 oz) chicken broth (about 2 cups/500 mL)
- 1 cup (250 mL) uncooked long grain white rice
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) Creole seasoning
- 2 garlic cloves, pressed
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) turmeric
- 1 lb (450 g) medium uncooked shrimp (41-50 per pound), peeled and deveined, tails removed
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) petite diced tomatoes with green chiles (1 3/4 cups/425 mL), drained
- 1 pkg (9 oz) frozen artichoke hearts, thawed (1 1/2 cups/375 mL)
- 1 cup (250 mL) frozen peas, thawed
- Chopped fresh parsley (optional)
Chop onion using Food Chopper. Cut sausage crosswise into 1/4-inch-thick (6-mm) slices. Combine onion, sausage and oil in Deep Covered Baker. Microwave, covered, on HIGH 2-3 minutes or until onion is tender. Add broth, rice, seasoning, garlic pressed with Garlic Press and turmeric to baker; mix well. Microwave, covered, on HIGH 16-20 minutes or until rice is tender, stirring every 5 minutes.
Carefully remove baker from microwave using Oven Mitts. Add shrimp, tomatoes, artichokes and peas to baker; mix well. Microwave, covered, on HIGH 3-5 minutes or until shrimp are opaque. Let stand, covered, 5 minutes. Garnish with chopped parsley, if desired.
- 6 servings
Nutrients per serving:
Calories 380, Total Fat 15 g, Saturated Fat 4 g, Cholesterol 140 mg, Carbohydrate 36 g, Protein 25 g, Sodium 850 mg, Fiber 4 g
U.S. Diabetic exchanges per serving:
1 1/2 starch, 2 1/2 vegetable, 2 high-fat meat (1 1/2 carb)
Do not overcook shrimp, as they will continue to cook during standing time.
Turmeric is a yellow spice that's a key ingredient in curry powder and mustard. It's a suitable substitute for saffron, which is commonly used in paella but extremely expensive.
If desired, 2 cups (500 mL) diced cooked chicken can be substituted for the shrimp.