Moroccan White Bean Turkey Chili
Filling and satisfying, a bowlful of this hearty chili will hit the spot on a cool day.
- 1 medium onion
- 1 jalapeño pepper
- 1 medium green bell pepper
- 1 lb (450 g) 93% lean ground turkey
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) Moroccan seasoning
- 4 garlic cloves, pressed
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
- 2 cans (15 oz or 398 mL each) Great Northern or cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can (14.5 oz or 398 mL) tomato sauce
- 1 can (14.5 oz) petite diced tomatoes with garlic and onion, undrained (1 3/4 cups/425 mL)
Coarsely chop onion and jalapeño using Food Chopper. Dice bell pepper using Santoku Knife. Combine onion, peppers, turkey, seasoning, pressed garlic and salt in Deep Covered Baker; mix well. Microwave, covered, on HIGH 5-7 minutes or until turkey is no longer pink, breaking into crumbles halfway through using Mix 'N Chop.
Carefully remove baker from microwave using Oven Mitts. Add beans, tomato sauce and tomatoes; mix well. Cover; microwave on HIGH 14-17 minutes or until simmering.
- 6 servings of about 1 1/3 cups (325 mL)
Nutrients per serving:
Calories 190, Total Fat 5 g, Saturated Fat 1.5 g, Cholesterol 45 mg, Carbohydrate 22 g, Protein 21 g, Sodium 1320 mg, Fiber 6 g
U.S. Diabetic exchanges per serving:
1 starch, 1 vegetable, 2 low-fat meat (1 carb)
If desired, 1 1/2 tbsp (22 mL) paprika, 1 1/2 tsp (7 mL) curry powder, 1 tsp (5 mL) sugar, 3/4 tsp (4 mL) each ground cumin and ground ginger, 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon and 1/4 tsp (1 mL) chili pwder can be substituted for the Moroccan seasoning.
For an authentic touch, try stirring raisins and diced dried apricots into the chili.