Chopped California Cobb Salad
This is no simple side salad! Hearty and satisfying enough for a meal.
- 1 lb (450 g) chicken tenders
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) canola oil
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) Bell Pepper Herb Rub
- 2 eggs, hard cooked
- 3 slices cooked turkey bacon, crumbled
- 2 hearts Romaine lettuce, washed and dried
- 1 cup (250 mL) grape tomatoes, halved
- Optional: ½ cup (125 mL) crumbled blue cheese or feta cheese
- 1 ripe avocado
- ½ cup (125 mL) 2% plain low-fat Greek yogurt
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) milk
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) Bell Pepper Herb Rub
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) fresh lemon juice
- ¼ tsp (1 mL) salt
Heat the Grill Pan and Grill Press over medium heat for 3–5 minutes. Toss the chicken with the oil and rub. Place the chicken in the pan and cover with the grill press. Cook for 3–4 minutes per side, or until the internal temperature reaches 165°F (74°C). Remove the chicken to a bowl. Chop the chicken into small pieces and set aside.
Cut the lettuce in half lengthwise (holding the core to keep it intact) on a clean cutting board. Turn the lettuce by one quarter, then cut the lettuce lengthwise again. Slice the lettuce crosswise into thin strips (see cook’s tip), and set aside.
For the dressing, peel and seed the avocado, then cut it into chunks and mash it until smooth. Add the remaining dressing ingredients and stir to combine.
Spread the dressing onto the bottom of the of a serving platter and top evenly with chicken, tomatoes, eggs, lettuce, and cheese, if you’d like. Toss to coat just before serving.
- 6 servings
Nutrients per serving:
U.S. Nutrients per serving: Calories 250, Total Fat 14 g, Saturated Fat 3 g, Cholesterol 125 mg, Sodium 900 mg, Carbohydrate 8 g, Fiber 3 g, Protein 24 g
Did you know that cutting the lettuce into long, thin strips is called chiffonade? It’s the French phrase for “made of rags”, and the technique is commonly used for slicing basil, mint and leafy greens. See step 4.