Autumn Baked Ziti with Squash
- 4 cups (1 L) uncooked ziti pasta
- 1 box (12 oz or 400 g) frozen cooked winter squash, thawed
- ¼ cup (50 mL) tomato paste
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) flour
- 1 tsp (5 mL) Italian Seasoning Mix
- 2-3 cloves garlic
- ½ tsp (2 mL) salt
- ¼ tsp (1 mL) black pepper
- 1/8-¼ tsp (0.5-1 mL) cayenne pepper
- 1¾ cups (425 mL) chicken broth
- 1 pkg (12 oz or 300 g) cooked Italian chicken sausage, cut into ¼” (6 mm) slices
- 1 bag (5 oz) baby spinach (about 5 cups/150 g loosely packed)
- 2 oz (60 g) mozzarella cheese
- 1 oz (30 g) fresh Parmesan cheese, plus additional for garnish
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) fresh thyme leaves or chopped Italian parsley
Heat oven to 375°F (190°C).
Cook pasta for 2 minutes less than the package directions; drain.
Add, squash, tomato paste, flour, seasoning mix, garlic pressed with Garlic Press, salt, pepper, and cayenne to 12” (30-cm) Executive Nonstick Skillet; mix well. Gradually stir in the broth; heat over medium heat. Cook and stir, 6-9 minutes or until slightly thickened and heated through.
Add the sausage; heat 1-2 minutes. Stir in the pasta.
Layer half of the pasta mixture in Large Serving Bowl. Top evenly with the spinach and remaining pasta mixture. Cover with aluminum foil; bake 15 minutes.
Using the Microplane® Adjustable Coarse Grater, grate the cheeses.
Remove foil from the bowl; top with the cheeses and the thyme. Continue baking, uncovered, 10 to 15 minutes or until the cheese is melted and the pasta is heated through. Top with additional Parmesan cheese, if desired.
- 8 servings of 1 1/2 cups (375 mL)
Nutrients per serving:
Calories 300, Total Fat 8 g, Saturated Fat 3.5g, Cholesterol 45 mg, Sodium 740 mg, Carbohydrate 38 g, Fiber 4 g, Sugars 4g, Protein 20 g
You can substitute 1 can (15 oz) solid pack pumpkin (1¾ cups/425 mL) for the squash.