Favorite Oven Beef Stew
The name says it all. Our Stoneware tenderizes the beef stew meat and provides a hot, filling meal on a chilly winter day. A loaf of crusty bread makes this dinner complete.
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 pounds beef stew meat, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 3 garlic cloves, pressed
- 3/4 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1 can (13 3/4 ounces) beef broth
- 1 can (14 1/2 ounces) stewed or diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 medium onion, cut into wedges
- 2 large unpeeled potatoes (about 1 pound)
- 2 cups carrots, sliced
- 1/2 cup thawed frozen peas
Preheat oven to 350°F. In Classic Batter Bowl, combine flour, salt and pepper. Add beef. Cover bowl with lid; shake to coat beef. In (12-in.) Skillet, heat oil over medium heat 1-3 minutes or until shimmering. Press garlic into oil using Garlic Press. Add beef to skillet, reserving any remaining flour mixture. Cook until beef is evenly browned, stirring occasionally. Remove beef and garlic to Stoneware Baking Bowl; sprinkle with the reserved flour mixture and thyme. Add beef broth, tomatoes and onion. Cover with Deep Dish Baker. Bake 1 1/4 hours. Meanwhile, slice potatoes into 1/2-inch-thick slices with Crinkle Cutter; cut slices crosswise in half. Slice carrots with Crinkle Cutter. Using Oven Mitts, carefully remove Baker from Baking Bowl. Stir potatoes and carrots into stew; cover with Deep Dish Baker. Bake 1 hour or until beef and vegetables are tender. Stir in peas.
- 6 servings
Nutrients per serving:
Approximately 410 calories and 19 grams of fat per serving
To quickly thaw frozen peas, place in strainer and rinse under cold running water.
When uncovering Baking Bowl, use Oven Mitts and lift Deep Dish Baker away from you to avoid escape of steam.