Easy Pasta Carbonara
Keep the bacon and cheese (but lose the guilt!) with a healthy twist on this creamy dish!
- 1/2 of a 12-oz (350-g) pkg uncooked turkey bacon (see Cook’s Tip)
- 1 medium onion
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1 pkg (14.5 oz or 411 g) uncooked multigrain bow-tie pasta (5 cups/1.25 L)
- 1 carton (32 oz/1 L) unsalted chicken stock
- 1 can (12 oz or 370 mL) fat-free evaporated milk
- 1 oz (30 g) fresh Parmesan cheese
- 4 oz (125 g) reduced-fat cream cheese (Neufchâtel), softened
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) frozen peas, thawed
Stack bacon and cut in half lengthwise. Cut crosswise using Santoku Knife.
Add onion, garlic pressed with Garlic Press and pepper flakes to Skillet. Cook another 3-4 minutes or until onion is tender.
Add pasta, stock and evaporated milk. Cover and bring to a simmer. (Do not boil.) Simmer 12-14 minutes or until pasta is still a little firm, stirring occasionally.
Grate Parmesan using Rotary Grater. Remove Skillet from heat. Stir in cream cheese, peas and Parmesan.
Let stand, covered, 5 minutes or until sauce is thick and creamy.
- 8 servings
Nutrients per serving:
Calories 360, Total Fat 8 g, Saturated Fat 3 g, Cholesterol 30 mg, Sodium 490 mg, Carbohydrate 47 g, Fiber 5 g, Protein 22 g
When preparing this recipe, choose turkey bacon that contains about 135 mg sodium per slice, which gives the dish flavor while keeping the sodium lower than regular bacon.
Be sure to choose evaporated milk, not sweetened condensed milk, or your pasta will be sweet!
A 16-oz (450-g) package of regular bow-tie pasta can be substituted for the multigrain bow-tie pasta.