Baked Mac ‘N Cheese with Shrimp
- 1 1/2 lbs (700 g) medium raw shrimp (25-30 per pound), peeled, deveined, tails removed
- 3/4 tsp (4 mL) salt, divided
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) ground black pepper
- 6 tbsp (90 mL) butter (3/4 stick), divided
- 6 tbsp (90 mL) dry sherry, divided
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) flour
- 3 1/2 cups (875 mL) milk, divided
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) Dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) cayenne pepper
- 8 oz (250 g) uncooked mezzi rigatoni pasta (2 cups/500 mL)
- 6 oz (175 g) sharp white cheddar cheese, shredded (1 1/2 cups/375 mL)
- 4 oz (125 mL) fontina cheese, shredded (1 cup/250 mL)
- 2/3 cup (150 mL) panko bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) finely chopped fresh parsley
Season shrimp with ¼ tsp (1 mL) of the salt, and pepper. Heat 2 tbsp (30 mL) of the butter in Rockcrok™ (2.5-qt./2.35-L) Everyday Pan over medium heat 1-2 minutes or until bubbling. Cook shrimp 2-3 minutes or until pink and cooked through, turning once. Stir in 2 tbsp (30 mL) of the sherry; cook 30 seconds. Remove shrimp.
Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C). Add remaining butter and flour to Pan; whisk 1-2 minutes or until smooth. Slowly pour in 1 cup (250 mL) of the milk, whisking constantly until smooth. Whisk in remaining milk, mustard, cayenne and remaining ½ tsp (2 mL) salt. Cook, covered, 3-5 minutes or until mixture comes to a simmer, whisking often; remove Pan from heat.
Stir in pasta, 1 cup (250 mL) of the cheddar and fontina. Bake, covered, 30-35 minutes or until pasta is tender, gently stirring once halfway through baking.
Meanwhile, combine bread crumbs, parsley and remaining cheddar in small bowl.
Remove Pan from oven; preheat broiler. Stir in shrimp and remaining sherry; top with bread crumb mixture. Place Pan 2-4 in. (5-10 cm) from heating element. Broil 2-3 minutes or until top is golden brown. Remove from oven; let stand 5 minutes.
- 10 servings
Nutrients per serving:
Calories 390, Total Fat 19 g, Saturated Fat 11 g, Cholesterol 140 mg, Sodium 970 mg, Carbohydrate 29 g, Fiber 1 g, Protein 23 g
U.S. Diabetic exchanges per serving:
2 Starch, 2 1/2 Med-Fat Meat, 1 Fat (2 Carb)