Unrolled Cabbage Rolls
When you want the flavor of cabbage rolls without all the work…unroll them! This recipe makes a comforting classic easy meal—and for just $3 per serving.
- 1 medium onion
- 8 oz. (250 g) mushrooms
- ½ head cabbage (about 12 oz./350 g), core and tough stems removed
- 1 lb. (450 g) ground pork
- 2 garlic cloves, pressed
- ¼ tsp (1 mL) salt
- ¼ tsp (1 mL) pepper
- 1 can (14.5 oz./398 g) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (8 oz./250 mL) tomato sauce
- ½ cup (125 mL) beef or vegetable broth
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) Worcestershire sauce
- Optional: Egg noodles or mashed potatoes
- Use the Flex+ Food Processor fitted with the multiuse blade to finely chop the onion and mushrooms in batches; set aside. Slice the cabbage with the thick slicing blade; set aside.
- Add the pork to the 5-qt. (4.7-L) Nonstick Saute Pan; cook over medium heat, breaking it up into chunks. After 3 minutes, add the onion and continue cooking until the meat is no longer pink, about 5–6 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms, garlic, salt, and pepper. Cook until the mushrooms cook down to half the original size and release their moisture, about 5 minutes.
- Add the cabbage, tomatoes, tomato sauce, broth, and Worcestershire sauce. Bring to a boil over medium heat, then reduce to medium-low and simmer uncovered until the cabbage is tender, about 10–12 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Serve as is, or over egg noodles or mashed potatoes, if you’d like.
- 6 servings
Nutrients per serving:
U.S. nutrients per serving: Calories 290, Total Fat 18 g, Saturated Fat 7 g, Cholesterol 55 mg, Sodium 530 mg, Carbohydrate 15 g, Fiber 4 g, Sugars 7 g (includes 1 g added sugar), Protein 17 g 25
Using mushrooms with the pork helps you stretch this meal and make it more satisfying. If you don’t like mushrooms, you can omit them and/or add an extra 4 oz. (125 g) of pork.
Combine your leftovers with a carton of chicken broth to make a comforting soup.