Italian Pot Pie
A family favorite made with an Italian spin, this dish is great for a busy weeknight.
- 1 1/2 lbs (750 g) bulk hot Italian sausage
- 1 medium red onion
- 1 medium green bell pepper
- 8 oz (250 g) mushrooms
- 3 garlic cloves, pressed
- 1 can (15 oz) pizza sauce (1 3/4 cups/425 mL)
- 1 can (14.5 oz) diced fire-roasted tomatoes (1 3/4 cups/425 mL), undrained
- 1 pkg (13.8 oz/283 g) refrigerated pizza crust
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 tsp (5 mL) olive oil
- Grated fresh Parmesan cheese (optional)
- Italian Seasoning Mix (optional)
Meanwhile, coarsely chop onion with Food Chopper. Cut bell pepper into 1/2-in. (1-cm) pieces with Chef's Knife. Slice mushrooms using Egg Slicer Plus®. Add onion, bell pepper, mushrooms and garlic pressed with Garlic Press to Skillet; cook 1-2 minutes or until bell pepper is crisp-tender, stirring occasionally with Small Mix ‘N Scraper®. Stir in pizza sauce and tomatoes; cook 1-2 minutes or until simmering. Cover; remove from heat.
Place dough onto Large Grooved Cutting Board (do not unroll). Using a sawing motion, slice dough in half lengthwise with Color Coated Bread Knife; slice dough halves crosswise into 12 half moons for a total of 24 half moons. Sprinkle mozzarella cheese over sausage mixture. Arrange dough over cheese in a circular pattern, spacing about 3/4 in. (2 cm) apart. Brush dough with oil using Chef's Silicone Basting Brush.
Bake, uncovered, 12-15 minutes or until crust is golden brown. Carefully remove Skillet from oven with Oven Mitts. Sprinkle crust with Parmesan cheese and seasoning mix, if desired. Let stand 5 minutes.
- 8 servings of (excluding optional ingredients)
Nutrients per serving:
Calories 530, Total Fat 33 g, Saturated Fat 13 g, Cholesterol 75 mg, Carbohydrate 36 g, Protein 23 g, Sodium 1530 mg, Fiber 3 g
If desired, 1 (14.5-oz) can Italian-seasoned diced tomatoes can be substituted for the fire-roasted tomatoes.