PB&J French Toast Bake
- Oil for coating the baker
- 6 slices white or wheat sandwich bread
- ¼ cup (50 mL) all-natural creamy peanut butter
- ¼ cup (50 mL) low-sugar strawberry jelly
- 2 eggs
- ⅓ cup (75 mL) milk
- ½ tbsp (7 mL) maple syrup, plus additional for serving
- ½ tsp (2 mL) vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp (1 mL) ground cinnamon
- 6 oz (175 g) fresh strawberries, sliced
- ½ ripe banana
*Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C). Spray or brush the Mini Deep Covered Baker with oil.
*Use your fingers or the Paring Knife to trim the crusts off of the bread slices.
Spread the peanut butter onto one side of 3 pieces of bread. Spread jelly over the remaining 3 bread slices.
*Stack the bread pieces together to form 3 sandwiches. Cut the sandwiches into 3 strips each.
In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, maple syrup, vanilla, and cinnamon.
Arrange the sandwich strips in the bottom of the baker (they will be squished!). Pour the egg mixture over the top.
*Bake, uncovered, for 20–22 minutes, or until the egg mixture is set.
*Carefully remove the baker from the oven and let it stand for 5–10 minutes (the filling gets very hot).
Top with the sliced strawberries, bananas, and additional maple syrup, if you like. Use the Spoon to serve.
- 4–6 servings
Nutrients per serving:
U.S. Nutrients per serving (4 servings): Calories 300, Total Fat 13 g, Saturated Fat 3.5 g, Cholesterol 95 mg, Sodium 320 mg, Carbohydrate 39 g, Fiber 3 g, Sugars 19 g, Protein 11 g
*Adult supervision required