Holiday Peppermint Pie
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) graham cracker crumbs
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) butter, melted
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) sugar
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) semi-sweet chocolate chips, melted and divided
- 1 pkg (250 g) cream cheese, softened
- 4 cups (1 L) frozen whipped topping, thawed, divided
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) milk
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) peppermint extract
- 3-4 drops red food coloring (optional)
- 1 pkg (3.4 oz/102 g) white chocolate or vanilla instant pudding mix
- 6 small candy canes or 8 peppermint candies, crushed (about 1/4 cup/50 mL)
Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C). In large bowl, mix graham cracker crumbs, melted butter and sugar until well blended. Press evenly into bottom of a deep dish pie plate. Bake 8 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove from oven; cool completely.
Place chocolate in small bowl. Microwave, uncovered, on HIGH 1 minute or until chocolate is melted and smooth, stirring after each 20-second interval. Spread half of the chocolate over bottom and partway up sides of crust; set remaining chocolate aside.
In large bowl, whisk cream cheese until smooth. Set aside 1 cup (250 mL) of the whipped topping for garnish. Add remaining whipped topping, milk, peppermint extract and food coloring to cream cheese; whisk until smooth. Add pudding mix; whisk vigorously until mixture is blended and very thick. Immediately spoon filling into crust; spread evenly.
If necessary, reheat remaining melted chocolate in microwave on HIGH 10-15 seconds; drizzle over pie. Immediately sprinkle with crushed candy canes. Pipe rosettes of whipped topping around edge of pie. Refrigerate 30 minutes.
- 12 servings
Nutrients per serving:
Calories 320, Total Fat 19 g, Saturated Fat 13 g, Cholesterol 25 mg, Carbohydrate 30 g, Protein 3 g, Sodium 240 mg, Fiber less than 1 g