This recipe works as a decorating icing as well as a "glue" to hold gingerbread pieces together.
- 4 cups (1 L) powdered sugar
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) meringue powder
- ⅛ tsp (0.5 mL) cream of tartar
- 6–7 tbsp (90–105 mL) water
- Combine all the ingredients in a medium mixing bowl or bowl of stand mixer.
- Use a hand mixer or Deluxe Stand Mixer to beat the ingredients at medium speed until the icing is glossy and holds peaks, about 5–7 minutes.
- 2 cups
(enough to assemble and decorate 1 house) servings
3 pasteurized egg whites can be subsituted for the meringue powder and water.
This icing dries very quickly, so cover it with a damp towel when it’s not being used.