A little extra flour makes this dough sturdy enough to make gingerbread houses, but also works great for cookies. Plus, the smell of gingerbread baking is delightful.
- 3 cups (750 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1½ tsp (7 mL) ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp (5 mL) ground ginger
- ½ tsp (2 mL) baking soda
- ½ tsp (2 mL) salt
- ¼ tsp (1 mL) ground cloves
- ½ cup (125 mL) vegetable shortening
- ½ cup (125 mL) sugar
- ½ cup (125 mL) molasses
- 1 egg
Whisk the flour, cinnamon, ginger, baking soda, salt, and cloves together in a medium bowl.
Use a hand mixer to beat the shortening and sugar together in a large mixing bowl. Add the molasses and egg and beat until smooth.
Gradually add the flour mixture and beat until fully combined.
Shape the dough into a ball and divide it into 2 portions. Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and chill it for 30 minutes. Use the dough to make cookies with the Rolling Cookie Cutter or Emoji Cookie Cutters.
- varied (depending on cookie cutter or mold size) servings